Tuesday, August 21, 2012

hospice stories

I was sitting on the deck watching the light hit the lake and the hummingbirds and sweat bees feeding on sugar water while my patient dozed off.  I could faintly hear the sound of a tenor singing inside.  I stepped into the living room--there stood my patient's husband, transfixed in front of the television.

"Mario Lanza.  Oh, his voice.  So beautiful.  I love this aria," I said.

"He died so young. Why did he die so young? I always cry when I hear him. I don't know why. I just cry."

And so we stood there for an eternity.  Listening to Mario Lanza with tears streaming down our faces.  Because it was so beautiful.  Because we were all young once.  Because death is on its way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Every morning I awake torn between a desire to save the world and an inclination to savor it. This makes it hard to plan the day."

-E.B. White

Blog Archive