Friday, October 16, 2009

Radio silence

I just realized it has been a couple of weeks of silence.  Life got busy. Classes to attend.  Anniversaries to celebrate.  The last week I've been trying to come to terms with the fact that someone I loved dearly, someone who I considered my conjoined twin,  passed away.

 It wasn't unexpected by any means, but I have refused to believe it would be a reality.  The hole that is left by his death is larger and more profound than I have been able to comprehend.  The last few months we had sporatic contact because he was so very ill, so I think it is going to take some time for me to really settle into the new reality that my shadow is missing and I won't be able to locate it no matter how hard I look.

In happier and more mundane gardening news...

The double-digging of the new garden site is almost complete.  It's a hot mess of mud right now, even with a tarp over the places that still need to be dug.  I'm flummoxed as to what to do.  Digging up wet clay is the exactly wrong thing to do to make my little patch aerated and fluffy.  Maybe I'll tarp the whole mess down tonight to see if I can dry it out a bit.    I really should have started this project months ago, before the rains came.  I think I can forget about getting an asparagus bed ready this fall.

I've officially finished the COG class.  I'm full of information and wish I could put it all to use RIGHTHISVERYMINUTE.  I'm excited to figure out how to collect seeds to plant for the next cycle.  It all just makes so much sense as to why I 'd want to harvest the seeds from my own plants instead of buying new seed. I'll be sticking to self-pollinating plants the first year.  I know that insect-pollinators aren't so difficult either, but I just worry that my squash plants would be too close together..

I've signed up for a p-patch.  It's going to be a 2-3 year wait so I figure I'd sign up now.  I'm kicking msyelf that I didn't sign up for the p-patch near where I work about 8-9 years ago when I had the opportunity.    I signed up for the ones around me and am keeping my fingers crossed that I could get a 20'x10' plot instead of a 10'x10'.  Still, just an extra 100 square feet of space would almost double what I currently have (or am in the process of having).

In other news, I feel like I'm in some transition period. I'm not sure what it looks like, but I know I've got to get out of several ruts that I am finding myself in with just about every area of my life.  I'm not sure what it is all going to look like, if anything.  I'm just ready for some major changes.

Lastly, in cooking news...I'm impatiently waiting to get my hands on a copy of "The Artful Vegan" from the library.  I am both enthralled by what I've seen about it and terrified.   I know, I know--I need to get more simplistic with my meals and definitely need to get into the habit of cooking something more than once.  But! But! But!...it looks so deliciously complex and fussy and I love fussy.   Not for a weeknight, of course, but a dinner party?  A sunday dinner?  I want fussy and intimidating.  Because I'm a masochist.

Look at the name of the dishes:

"Morel Carmalized Onion Rolls with Truffled Beet Salad and Pinot Noir Reduction"
"Cajun Crusted Tempeh with Lemon Dill Caper Sauce and Braised Collards"
"Yuca Black Bean Cakes with Sweet Mango, Mustard, and Habenero Sauce"
"Miso-Broiled Eggplant over Noodle Cakes with Walnut-Miso Sauce and Wasabi Cream"

How can you read that and not think, "Oh dear, I must taste this immediately!"

I know, I know.  No more vegan cookbooks, right?!? But if it turns out well, shouldn't I indulge in just one not-for-everyday-use book?  (The answer is "yes". I wasn't really asking.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Every morning I awake torn between a desire to save the world and an inclination to savor it. This makes it hard to plan the day."

-E.B. White

Blog Archive