Monday, September 7, 2009

Yipee!!!!!

So...I have been busily concerned about how I as going to add an extra bed in front of my current 51 square foot bed.  Not so much the bed, but how I was going to fence everything in.

After living here for 2.5 years, I finally realized what that weird square hole in the middle of my back yard was.  16 feet away there is another weird square hole, but there is a 4x4 pounded into it.  There is another old 4x4 that is by that pole and we never knew what it was for.  Yeah, it took me 2.5 years to realize that the strange hole is where that 4x4 goes and basically, if I put some chicken wire around the outside of the poles and up to the back fence--the space I wanted to use is already enclosed.  Duh. 

I'll have to start taking photos so the one or two people who read this thing besides me knows what I'm talking about.

Anyway, I spent some time today measuring everything out and I can get a nice  U-shaped garden in that area and gain about 64 square feet of vegetable garden.  That'll give me about 105 square feet of space.  Maybe closer to 110 if I cut down the boards between theoriginal garden space to '1 instead of the current 2'.  (It's a 17'x3' foot raised  bed that is against the back fence so I added boards every 3' so I could reach the back).

So, half of my worries are already non-worries.  I just have to make a commitment to spend a little bit of time every. single. day. to try to double dig out all this space and hopefully get the beds built and the cover crops in by mid October.  Yeah,  I need to get this done even tho' there is the Harvest Festival, Rosh Hashanah, and Yom Kippur filling up most of September.

OTOH, double the space means that we actually might feed ourselves out of the garden next year.  Or rather, I have double the room to fail. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Every morning I awake torn between a desire to save the world and an inclination to savor it. This makes it hard to plan the day."

-E.B. White

Blog Archive