Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Berry

"Doubtless God could have made a better berry (than the strawberry), but doubtless God never did”

-William Allen Butler

The first 5 strawberries came in to the patch, which we devoured this weekend. Once again, I am stunned at the quality of food at my house compared to the quality of food in a grocery store.

Did you know that properly sun-ripe strawberries do not have a white pith in the middle? They they are a deep, vibrant red all the way through. Did you know that when you cut them up and a sunbeam hits them, it looks like rubies on your plate? They glow.

You know how if you sprinkle sugar on grocery store strawberries and let them sit, they become extremely juicy? No need on the vine-ripened berry. When you slice them, there is juice everywhere. It is difficult not to lick the plate.

And the taste. Oh gads, the taste. We ate the slivers in the smallest bites possible to savor every second of it. Our eyes were closed so that no other sense could take away from the experience. While we were initially sad that we only had a few berries, 2.5 small berries were actually enough to satiate us. We marveled at how little one must eat to gain so much pleasure when the ingredients are perfect.

Until Saturday, I had no idea what a real strawberry tasted like. I've been eating fake strawberries my entire life and thinking that they were one of my favorite fruit. I don't think I can ever go back to the cardboard, bland things that are at the store. I've been ruined. Absolutely ruined. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Every morning I awake torn between a desire to save the world and an inclination to savor it. This makes it hard to plan the day."

-E.B. White

Blog Archive