Friday, July 31, 2009

Wormie the Worms

There is something delightfully creepy and yet entrancing listening to my worms...er, doing their worm thing. It's amazingly loud and...er, squishy, sounding. I absolutely love it. The dog doesn't know what to do with himself when he hears and sees my worm farm. He's always got to inspect it with me, but he's always kinda fraked.

I thought I would have the bin outside in the spring and summer. Weirdly enough, it is STILL in my study. And there is ZERO odor. Zero. It can smell a bit earthy when I take off the lid--and maybe it is a bit earthy smelling anyway (but who knows when you are in a basement what is the bin and what is the house). Either way, there is nothing I feel is unpleasant. I really thought that was some bullshit PR hippie thing when they said wormbins don't stink. Actually, they are totally right. It is amazing.

I honestly feel a weird connection with my worms. I'm now weirdly connected to most earthworms since I started vermicomposting. I tend to rescue any earthworm I see in the middle of an asphalt parking lot after a lot of rain beacuse I'm worried s/he won't make it back to safety. I've even been a few minutes late to work beacuse I'm busy relocating earthworms on the way.

I haven'tused any of the compost yet. I'm not really quite sure when it is ready. I should probably tap it to see if there is any worm tea (I have a spigot on the bottom of my worm tower.). The plants will love it.

I'm jealous of the lady I bought the worms from. She's a SAHM who is now making quite a killing just selling worm bins and worms. I wish I had thought of it (and I wish I could figure out a way to steal her business). If you are raising livestock, worms are pretty much the easiest thing you could do (unless you wanted to be a plankton farmer or something). I honestly can't think of another "farming" job that required almost absolutely no work. The lady is pulling in almost $50,000/year on worm farming. That is absolutely ridiculous.

I seethe with envy. I gotta figure out an angle.

Until then, I'm just going to watch Wormie and reap the benefits and feed them the best stuff I can grow/eat. It's my tiny way of permaculture, I guess. I'm fairly attached to the little guys/girls at this point. They help me to really understand-on a viceral level--lifecycles..(How is that for hippie speak?!?)

I love watching life live. I can't explain that sentence anymore than what it is. Life lives. It sounds trite and stupid and it really isn't, but there is no way to parse it down in a way that doesn't sound trite and stupid. I don't care. There are universes in that statement.

And I love to observe the violent being of becoming. It gives me hope. Not hope that everything will turn out the way I want. Not hope in a better future. Just the desire that life lives, that existence happens--for no other reason or purpose than that it simply does and that there is no stopping it.

I suppose, if I summed up my spiritual/religious beliefs...there you go.

And that is why I love what I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Every morning I awake torn between a desire to save the world and an inclination to savor it. This makes it hard to plan the day."

-E.B. White

Blog Archive