Thursday, July 23, 2009

Oh. Hell. To the Yes.

Scored us tickets to see the Butthole Surfers in October. I'm about to explode with happiness.

Funnily enough, we were JUST talking about the Surfers this weekend and how essential they were to who we had become. Randomly as we didn't even know that they were coming to concert, but were wishing that they were.

For me, It was a lost summer when I was barely 14 years-old, the summer before I went to high school, and started hanging around college boys who completely blew my mind open. My age of becoming. Becoming what, I don't know. But things took a serious left turn from then on. That summer I stopped wanting to be a preppy cheerleader and got exposed to the Butthole Surfers, Lydia Lunch, William S. Burroughs, Skinny Puppy, William Faulkner, Robot Alchemic Drive, The Cramps, and some of the strangest stuff I had ever seen. Including spending the night with the Flaming Lips because the college boys opened for them and sat around watching them watch the snow on the television all night.

The Surfers completely unhinged me. Not just the music. I was first introduced by a video of a concert they did. Interspersed was an interview with the Surfers in bed.

This is what I saw.



How does a girl who wanted to be a cheerleader, was considered "preppy", hung around all the other cheer-leaders-to-be and listened to pop music even deal with this? And what you are seeing is not even how weird it got. People throwing up and other people eating it with turkey basters. You know. Like you do.

Awesome Husband was listening to the same things, except he got to go to the Surfer's Locust Abortion Technician concert. He said it was the weirdest, most intense show he ever saw and is disappointed he no longer has the concert t-shirt.

So, this is a long, long, loooooong time coming for me and a trip down memory lane for Awesome Husband.

I don't expect them to be who they were in the 1980s or even the early 1990s. I just want to see whatever they are now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Every morning I awake torn between a desire to save the world and an inclination to savor it. This makes it hard to plan the day."

-E.B. White

Blog Archive