Monday, July 20, 2009

Much love!

I want to make out with this woman. She is so right on here in her blog.

I just gotta re-type part of it so I can keep it on here so I can remember what she said. Every time I read it, I get crazy happy and want to go charge out into the yard and change my world. I hate feeling like I'm plagerizing her by copying her words here, but damn it, I want everyone to hear this over and over and over.

"Want "bold reform"? I got your bold reform right here. Opt out. Individual American households need to opt out of Big Ag.

Plant a garden, grow what you can, preserve what you can. Keep a few chickens. Join or start a community garden. Ask your neighborhood mom and pop store to buy local, seasonal produce and regional foods. Stop going to the big box grocery store. Join a co-op. Buy a cow share. Go to your local farmer's market, and get to know your local farmers. Learn to eat seasonally, and learn to cook from real, whole ingredients, not pre-mixed boxes of corporate crap with who-knows-what mixed into them. Stop reading diet books; listen to your body and the traditions of your region, climate, and culture. Only eat food that your great-grandmother would recognize as food. Reprogram your brain to know this simple truth- cooking is not drudgery; cooking is health and love and life.

Reform will happen one tomato plant, one back yard, one community garden, and one local farmer at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Every morning I awake torn between a desire to save the world and an inclination to savor it. This makes it hard to plan the day."

-E.B. White

Blog Archive