Sunday, June 28, 2009

Garden Update

GStill riding high from the Ballard Edible Eating Tour yesterday. I spent all today working on the garden.

* Decided to just give up on the broccoli. The two other plants were about to bloom with the main head of broccoli being about 1/4 of a cup of actual food. It has been shading all of my other plants that actually need some sun now, so it's time to go. I kept 1 in just for an expirement

* Found out last night that the 6-pack of leeks that I planted earlier weren't a six-pack. I should have actually seperated each individual leek. Which I didn't do . My 6-pack held over 100 leeks. Yanked up all the poor guys and carefully seperated them. 100 leeks is wayyyy too many--especially since I'm the only one in the family who eats them. I settled on doing 4 squares of leeks. That's still 36 leeks. Hopefully that means I'll be eating them all fall/winter if I didn't just stress them too much by diging them up and dividing them.

* My thai pepper plant is looking very stressed. :( I'm not sure what is wrong with it. I may not be watering it enough, is the only thing I can think of. Leaves are yellowing and dropping off. There aren't any more at the nursery, but if it looks like it might be a goner, I'll pick up another hot pepper (althought that might not be necessary with the chili I just bought. I just sorta want the huge yield a thai pepper plant will give me) and maybe a medium-hot plant.

*Finally mulched the herb garden. Wish I would have done it years ago. Hopefully it'll keep the weeds down, keep the moisture in, and add much needed nutrients to the soil when it breaks down

*Bought the connectors I need for the 2nd raised bed on the side of the fence that currently doesn't exist. It's just a big pile of dirt right now. I plan to build the bed this weekend. While I would love to plant in it this year, I think I'l just worry about amending the soil and give it a cover crop this winter.

*From seed, planted more carrots, radishes, arugula, watercress, and trying again for some summer spinach

*From starts, I planted: 1 zucchini, 1 eggplant, 1 Bolivian Rainbow chili, 6 chard, 1 Thai basil

*Making final plans for the winter garden. Ordered seeds and seed starting gear (no lights or heat mat. Just these nifty self-watering containers for seeds and for starts.)

I'm loving that I now have a mini-container garden happening. I hope to actually take some photos of what I'm doing next week. I have some original photos of how I set up the garden when it was still empty. It's still not full now--there are probably 7-8 squares that are bare. I'll be planting those up sooner or later with more radishe, carrots and leafy greens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Every morning I awake torn between a desire to save the world and an inclination to savor it. This makes it hard to plan the day."

-E.B. White

Blog Archive